external repositories (Re: RH Decisions)

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 17:06:08 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:55:52AM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> Of course I'm a kernel guy and mostly an onlooker when it comes
> to the distribution.  I wouldn't be surprised if the people who
> are doing the actual work of putting together the distro ended
> up taking the decision of putting more cool stuff in their own
> repository, grabbing it from external repositories.  On the other
> hand, I wouldn't be surprised by a "move stuff into external
> repositories and out of the core distro" movement, either.
>
> I am very curious which of the two will happen, though...

My guess is that the right answer is in between; that we have a common
set of policies, build tools, CVS server, universe of package names,
release process, etc.  (all the infrastructure that makes it nice to
work together).  However, the set of packages using this common
infrastructure may be subdivided in various ways ("core" vs. various
add-on package sets).

That's what I'd like to see. While I think we should support "some
dude built a package in a haphazard way on their own system and put it
on their web site," personally I want to have lots of RPMs available
with higher standards than that.

If the infrastructure (cvs, build, etc.) and policies are replicable
so people can host their own copy of it for their own package set,
that's all the better.

Havoc