lost the GNOME panel, how do I get it back?

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Sat Aug 16 18:21:33 UTC 2003

On August 16, 2003 01:49 pm, Jef Spaleta <jspaleta at princeton.edu> wrote:
> >HOW do I get back the default panel?
>
> Have you tried running gnome-panel from a terminal,  to get a fresh
Actually, it won't run, since it detects a panel already running (the one
at the top of the screen.
> panel? Did you have gnome setup to autosave session on logout?
No I always have autosave *off* (by _default_, I think).

> saves the session state that way.  So with autosave session on logout
> enabled...you
can also "save" a buggered up session, thereby putting yourself into
a loop (sez Elton, who was good at writing spaghetti code...)! LOL!!!

>  be extremely frustrating..you dont know why
> something stopped working...you logout and login again..and its still
> not working...

That's how you LEARN. You have to keep digging and digging, and
asking, and searching until you know the "whys" "howtos", etc...

> If there was some way for autosave session to know the difference when a
> program was disabled by a user or stopped working because of some
> unknown error...and would not autosave some session state info if it
> noticed an error..that would be good...but thats probably not so easy to
> implement.
True. This sort of 'feature' would be most helpful, especially to new
migrants from the Windows world.

Anyway, I've now learnt a new lesson today, by the hands-on practical
method: I've re-created a new floating panel from the one at the top of
the screen, added back the main menu, and created an _almost_ exact
replica of the original (from a KDE screen-shot). With two notable
exceptions: The up2date icon is double it's size, and the slide buttons
are missing the default arrow icons (in their place is the "missing or
broken icon").

Elton ;-)
(who has caused many a teacher premature aging and grey hairs...)