2.6.0-0.test3.1.31, mice and acpi

Joshua Legbandt jtlegbandt at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 17 05:05:03 UTC 2003

I've installed Arjan's 2.6.0-0.test3.1.31 kernel onto my laptop (a
compaq presario 2715US) and it seems to be working almost flawlessly. I
say almost because I have found 2 issues:

1st my PS/2 touchpad does not seem to be working. dmesg shows that it is
found, but it is not working on the command line (with gpm) or with X.
The relevant dmesg output is:
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
 Firware: 5.8
 Sensor: 29
 new absolute packet format
 Touchpad has extended capability bits
 -> multifinger detection
 -> palm detection
input: Synaptics Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1

My usb mouse works fine after modifying /etc/modprobe.conf after
changing the alias for usb-controller from usb-uhci to uhci-hcd

2nd, the important acpi modules (battery, processor, thermal and ac)
don't load, and I don't understand enough about modprobe.conf editing to
make them work. With the 2.4 kernel + acpi patches, I had just compiled
them into kernel, but if I can stick with an rpm'd kernel I'd be
happier. After boot, I'm able to load the modules with the following
commands:
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/`/bin/uname -r`/kernel/drivers/acpi/battery.ko
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/`/bin/uname
-r`/kernel/drivers/acpi/processor.ko
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/`/bin/uname -r`/kernel/drivers/acpi/thermal.ko
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/`/bin/uname -r`/kernel/drivers/acpi/ac.ko

I've added the following to my rc.local to get them to work, but I think
there should be a cleaner way of loading those modules:
kern_maj_ver=`/bin/uname -r | /bin/awk -F. '{print $2}'`
kern_ver=`/bin/uname -r`
if [ "$kern_maj_ver" = "6" ]
  then
    echo "/sbin/insmod
/lib/modules/$kern_ver/kernel/drivers/acpi/battery.ko"
    echo "/sbin/insmod
/lib/modules/$kern_ver/kernel/drivers/acpi/processor.ko"
    echo "/sbin/insmod
/lib/modules/$kern_ver/kernel/drivers/acpi/thermal.ko"
    echo "/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/$kern_ver/kernel/drivers/acpi/ac.ko"
fi

Anyone have any suggestions?
-Josh

--