Severn Beta2

Jesse Keating hosting at j2solutions.net
Mon Aug 18 18:33:49 UTC 2003

On Monday 18 August 2003 07:32, Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:
> More than OOo 1.1 I am interested in seeing the Ximian-ized OOo
> (except _please_ change the default back to .sxw and not .doc!!).
>
> It's also a bit convenient having every release of redhat require me
> to uninstall ximian packages.  I think at this point, redhat should
> assume that a large percentage of users use ximian, and allow to
> upgrade from their packages.

A) why make that assumption?  The majority of users I deal with don't
use Ximian packages.

B) how would Red Hat "allow" such upgrades when they have no control
over what packages users may be upgrading from?  The problem is that
Ximian used to (still does?) replace many core packages that cause
problems when trying to upgrade from ximian packages to Red Hat
packages.  One or the other would break, so it was much cleaner to just
manually remove ximian from the system prior to an upgrade.

Maybe Ximian should put more work into making their software work
cleanly on Red Hat w/out replacing core packages and causing the
headache we have now...

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net