Severn Beta2

Mon Aug 18 14:47:12 UTC 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:

> > It's also a bit convenient having every release of redhat require me
> > to uninstall ximian packages.  I think at this point, redhat should
> > assume that a large percentage of users use ximian, and allow to
> > upgrade from their packages.
>
> A) why make that assumption?  The majority of users I deal with don't
> use Ximian packages.

At least there are many thousand that do, and it is common enough to have
made redhat's release notes.  I would make the assumption because:
a.) XD releases are mentioned on every major linux site.
b.) I know personally quite a lot of people who use XD (not just on
Redhat albiet).

> B) how would Red Hat "allow" such upgrades when they have no control
> over what packages users may be upgrading from?  The problem is that
> Ximian used to (still does?) replace many core packages that cause
> problems when trying to upgrade from ximian packages to Red Hat
> packages.  One or the other would break, so it was much cleaner to just
> manually remove ximian from the system prior to an upgrade.

> Maybe Ximian should put more work into making their software work
> cleanly on Red Hat w/out replacing core packages and causing the
> headache we have now...

Well, this is true, I meant something more along the lines of "I wish
Redhat and Ximian would work together to ease upgrades".  Worse is the
fact that (for example) going from RH9+XD2 to Severn is in some ways an
upgrade, and in some ways a downgrade.  XD2 can't be re-installed on top
of Severn, and even after RH10 is released, it will be a while until it is
supported.  I know a few people who waited to upgrade to RH9 until it was
supported by XD2, and I am somehow sure the same thing will happen to
RH10.

  -- noah silva