Severn Beta2

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at columbus.rr.com
Tue Aug 19 02:00:00 UTC 2003

I have been trying out Severn on two different computer systems. One is
a laptop "HP ze4315us" and it seems that everything that I have used is
working. I felt confident enough with it that I upgraded to Rahide and
nothing seemed to break with the transition. (Using the new up2date
feature and selecting a rawhide repository)

With the desktop that used the 815 chipset. The only major problem is
with initializing my 3com vortex boomerang PCI card. The card works if I
manaully run dhclient in the root terminal. This was a clean install.
With an upgrade from RHL 7.3 to Severn. The upgrade was a very unworking
system.

Pluses with the Severn over the RHL 9 snapshot. My HP 2100C scanner
works in both KDE and in GNOME. Before, it worked in GNOME and failed to
initialize in KDE. Also, the scanner used to not turn off, after you
scanned something. It now closes down properly and works great. So
apparently, in my view, this version of RHL will be a big improvement

I hope that they fixed the redhat-config-network program. It was said to
have been fixed in Rawhide. (Crashes when adding or editing a network
device, at least from a RHL 7.3 to Severn upgrade.)

Also regarding Ximian incompatibility issue, when upgrading with third
party software on systems. I used Ximian on my now gone 490CDT laptop
and feel that the improvements to up2date and the improvements to the
redhat-config-packages program have lessened the need to run ximian on
my computer. The ability to grab third party software through up2date,
with yum or apt have eased the accessability of desired functional programs.
I couldn't try my HP camera out. The camera was sold to the same person
that bought the laptop. I have a kodak camera that I haven't tried out
yet. It might work, but am not too alarmed.

Also, there was one incompatibility issue with upgrading to rawhide
programs. I had to remove pine to resolve one of the program conflicts.

There were two programs that would not install without a force and
remain uninstalled on my severn to rawhide upgrade. The programs are;
gnome-applets ver 2.2.2-3 (ver 2.2.0-8 is currently installed) and
gnome-system-monitor ver 2.0.5-3 (ver 2.0.4-3 is currently installed)

The conflicts revolve around the below pasted pop-up screen message.

here was a package dependency problem.  The message was:

Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
gnome-applets  2.2.2-3                   requires libgtop-2.0.so.1
gnome-applets  2.2.2-3                   requires libgtop_common-2.0.so.1
gnome-applets  2.2.2-3                   requires libgtop_sysdeps-2.0.so.1
gnome-system-monitor  2.0.5-3            requires libgtop-2.0.so.1
gnome-system-monitor  2.0.5-3            requires libgtop_common-2.0.so.1
gnome-system-monitor  2.0.5-3            requires libgtop_sysdeps-2.0.so.1

Please modify your package selections and try again.

Forget ximian, get gnome to work with RHL 10 (or whatebver it will be
designated.)

Jim
--
The Second Law of Thermodynamics:
	If you think things are in a mess now, just wait!