Stock kernels

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Tue Aug 19 12:17:46 UTC 2003

Maynard Kuona wrote:
> Like recently,the kernel.org kernels will not build because of
> how Redhat split rpm into rpm and rpmbuild
http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/rpmbuild/

Recently....that url would suggest that the actual functionality split
was a while ago.  I think the backwards compatibility mode for rpm hung
around too long.

>So if you could provide stock
>kernels, unsupported though, even for download, it would really be
>appreciated. The thing is that if they build at Redhat, then there should be
>less trouble building in the users' hands.

What you are actually asking for...is you want Red Hat to take the most
recent stock source and test it just enough to make sure that end-user
can "easily" roll their own kernel. That just isn't going to happen
inside the distro. What you get is the stock source code and the spec
file for the kernels red hat does provide...but thats seldom going to be
the "newest" kernel...especially if you like running development kernels
 Now, developers being developers, you might likely see an individual
developer offering up kernel rpms for testing newer kernel
releases...and the associated src.rpm will have the unpatched source.
But as part of the distro...I highly doubt yer not going to see a second
set of kernel sources...even if its just for download.

And I'm really not sure of the value of the Red Hat developers making it
"end-user easy" to build a custom kernel. If you are building yer own
custom kernel from stock...you should KNOW how to apply patches and KNOW
how to build your own spec file from provided examples.

-jef