Stock kernels

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Tue Aug 19 13:42:56 UTC 2003

When I implement a RedHat System, I often have to discard the RedHat
kernel, download the vanilla source, patch with linux-abi and build.

I do use the config.xxx file from RH to try to stay as close as possible
to the RH config.

The company I work for resells implements point of sale and business
accounting software which, although compiled for linux, have a few
important bits that require linux-abi.  I have no control over either
what my company sells or what the software requires.  All I can do is
push as hard as I can to divert as many implementations as possible away
from Windows and SCO Open Server and toward Linux.

Any suggestions on how to most easily get as close as possible to a RH
kernel while retaining linux-abi capability?

Any possibility of linux-abi going into the RHLP?  Or maybe Fedora?

As someone who kinda knows some C but is not a kernel guy,  I've thought
about maybe adapting the linux-abi patch to the current RH source
myself.  Would such a thing be welcome in fedora?