Odd USB mouse + PCMCIA Ethernet happenings

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 13:44:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 02:48:12PM -0700, Dee-Ann LeBlanc wrote:
> "Michael K. Johnson" <johnsonm at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > You'll think I'm nuts, but please try booting with acpi=off and see
> > if that fixes it.
>
> No crazier than having to move my mouse to let network traffic through.
> :)
>
> Nope. I still have to move the USB laser mouse to get traffic to pass
> through the PCMCIA Ethernet card.

OK.  The reason I asked is that ACPI, when enabled, is in charge of
interrupt routing, and this is clearly an interrupt routing problem.
That is, the PCMCIA ethernet card driver is looking at the wrong
source for interrupts.

It's definitely one to file in bugzilla with the information that
acpi=off does NOT resolve the problem.  I'm not sure if that means
that we'll be able to fix it, but at least we'll have a record of
it and the more information we collect the more the pattern will
show...  Information you'll want to include will be at least the
output of the following commands, all run as root:

cat /proc/interrupts
lspci -vv
dmidecode

That will at least be a good start.