Stock kernels

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Tue Aug 19 20:12:06 UTC 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, "Mike A. Harris" <mharris at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
>>> Redhat split rpm into rpm and rpmbuild.
>>>
>>> I don't quite understand what you're saying here.  kernel.org
>>> kernels compile just fine on Red Hat Linux.  Not sure what your  link
>>> to rpm is, except perhaps a misunderstanding.
>>
>>Probably looked at an old kernel.org Makefile.  Here's current pieces:
[snip]
>>So you can see that rpmbuild is accounted for.
>
> Ah.  I never didn't know such targets even existed.  Then again I
> haven't looked at the kernel Makefile in an enormously long time
> either.  ;o)
>
> Oddly, I'm able to compile kernels left right and center whenever
> desired, patched or unpatched, in rpm format or stock tarballs.
> I prefer our rpm based ones though. ;o)

Mike,

I definitely second the motion. If only 'make rpm' worked.

I've been trying since 2.5.62 with no luck. I upgraded three key Shrike
rpms as recommended, yet every compile attempt aborts with a fatal error
during the 'make modules' subtask. Whenever I change the errant module
from "M" to "N" in .config and start over, the failure occurs somewhere
else.

True frustration arrived when I found that 'make rpm' behaves as badly
when run against the Severn kernel-source rpm as it does using a
kernel.org tarball. Fewer "deprecated" warnings, but still.....

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL