Stock kernels

Jack Aboutboul jaboutboul at speakeasy.net
Tue Aug 19 22:48:03 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 01:06 Asia/Jerusalem, Mike A. Harris
wrote:

>> I've been trying since 2.5.62 with no luck. I upgraded three key
>> Shrike
>> rpms as recommended, yet every compile attempt aborts with a fatal
>> error
>> during the 'make modules' subtask. Whenever I change the errant module
>> from "M" to "N" in .config and start over, the failure occurs
>> somewhere
>> else.
>>
>> True frustration arrived when I found that 'make rpm' behaves as badly
>> when run against the Severn kernel-source rpm as it does using a
>> kernel.org tarball. Fewer "deprecated" warnings, but still.....
>
> I'll download it and run it through rpm as described above.

And thus began Mike Harris' kernel hacking days!

Seriously though, it's never been a problem to download the kernel
.src.rpm and just build the rpm. Why all the fuss? make rpm works in
2.4 cant speak for anything >

Just a few thoughts,
Jack