Files get corrupted :(

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Wed Aug 20 12:22:11 UTC 2003

I had the exact same problems on both RH9 and Severn. At the time,
Severn proved highly unstable on my system. After fixing what I did (see
below) left things alone. So at present, I'm back on RH9 because I
didn't want to go to the trouble to update NVidia drivers again. I plan
to jump back in with the next beta though.

Along with corrupted files from Samba copying, I was having general
stability problems with VMware 4.0.1 and also couldn't burn a CD to save
my life. No errors, just consistently burning CDs that failed md5sum
tests. Eventually my system started rebooting itself at random. It would
literally just go blank and start counting RAM in a POST again.

What I found that helped was to update the BIOS on my motherboard. I
have an Asus P4S8X. The original BIOS was at 1003a. Upgrading to 1004
seems to have fixed all of the other problems, but I have not tried
copying large files with Samba since flashing the BIOS on my system.
Perhaps I can try that tonight and report back here.

Hope that helps a few other out that still may be having problems Like I
was.

Cheers,

Chris