firstboot and --reconfig

Brent Fox bfox at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 19:32:17 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 09:04, Féliciano Matias wrote:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/firstboot :
>
> case "$1" in
>  start)
>         if grep -i reconfig /proc/cmdline >/dev/null || [ -f /etc/reconfigSys ]; then
>
>             echo -n $"Running system reconfiguration tool"
>             /usr/sbin/firstboot --reconfig
>             rm -f /etc/reconfigSys
>             exit 0
>         fi
>

> Is there a use for reconfig ?

Sorry to be so long in responding.  I was on vacation and I'm still
trying to catch up on email.  :)

Reconfig mode asks you some of the same questions that the installer has
already asked you, such as language, keyboard, securitylevel, timezone,
etc.

It's mostly for OEMs who do a factory kickstart install.  They want the
end user of the machine to select things like timezone and language when
the machine starts, because those settings are most likely different
than the default values in the OEM's kickstart file.

For people that just did the installation themselves, we don't want to
show those reconfig screens since the installer just asked you those
questions.

Cheers,
   Brent