firstboot and --reconfig

Féliciano Matias feliciano.matias at free.fr
Thu Aug 21 06:29:58 UTC 2003

Le mer 20/08/2003 à 21:32, Brent Fox a écrit :
> On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 09:04, Féliciano Matias wrote:
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/firstboot :
> >
> > case "$1" in
> >  start)
> >         if grep -i reconfig /proc/cmdline >/dev/null || [ -f /etc/reconfigSys ]; then
> >
> >             echo -n $"Running system reconfiguration tool"
> >             /usr/sbin/firstboot --reconfig
> >             rm -f /etc/reconfigSys
> >             exit 0
> >         fi
> >

> > Is there a use for reconfig ?
>

> Sorry to be so long in responding.  I was on vacation and I'm still
> trying to catch up on email.  :)
>
> Reconfig mode asks you some of the same questions that the installer has
> already asked you, such as language, keyboard, securitylevel, timezone,
> etc.
>
> It's mostly for OEMs who do a factory kickstart install.  They want the
> end user of the machine to select things like timezone and language when
> the machine starts, because those settings are most likely different
> than the default values in the OEM's kickstart file.
>
> For people that just did the installation themselves, we don't want to
> show those reconfig screens since the installer just asked you those
> questions.

Sorry, i am talking about the "--reconfig" flag in firstboot.
I find only one place where reconfig is "used" :
            if hasattr(obj, "moduleClass"):
                if (self.doReconfig and (obj.moduleClass == "reconfig")):
                    self.moduleDict[int(obj.runPriority)] = obj
                elif (not self.doReconfig and (obj.moduleClass != "reconfig")):
                    self.moduleDict[int(obj.runPriority)] = obj
            else:
                self.moduleDict[int(obj.runPriority)] = obj

I am not a python programmer and perhaps I am wrong.

For me firstboot do not need the "--reconfig" flag. firstboot always run
on an already configured system. At least with this configuration :
- configured with no sound card.
- configured with default time zone.
- configured with no user account.
- ...

Should i run redhat-config-* with "--reconfig" flag if my system is
already configured ?

--
Féliciano Matias <feliciano.matias at free.fr>