Minimal Install Option

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Thu Aug 21 18:07:15 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 11:52, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Bill Anderson wrote:
>
> > Uhh ftp? Note that I did include 2 ftp clients as options (actually
> > changed them to options).
>
> why would you possibly permit ftp clients, but not http clients? ftp is even
> less secure than http -- it makes no sense to allow the former, but not the
> latter, on security grounds

I didn't say disallow it based on security grounds, but on "minimal
install" grounds, so to speak. If I were to base it on security grounds
I would use neither http or ftp for this, and thus install neither. Oh,
and you can use an HTTP URL for rpm installs and upgrades as well. So
there you go, install neither wget or ftp and still be able to do the
upgrades. I would not transfer config data over ftp/http anyway, on
security grounds.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773