firstboot and --reconfig

Brent Fox bfox at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 21:03:05 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 02:29, Féliciano Matias wrote:
> Le mer 20/08/2003 à 21:32, Brent Fox a écrit :
> > On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 09:04, Féliciano Matias wrote:
> > > /etc/rc.d/init.d/firstboot :
> > >
> > > case "$1" in
> > >  start)
> > >         if grep -i reconfig /proc/cmdline >/dev/null || [ -f /etc/reconfigSys ]; then
> > >
> > >             echo -n $"Running system reconfiguration tool"
> > >             /usr/sbin/firstboot --reconfig
> > >             rm -f /etc/reconfigSys
> > >             exit 0
> > >         fi
> > >

> > > Is there a use for reconfig ?
> >

> > Sorry to be so long in responding.  I was on vacation and I'm still
> > trying to catch up on email.  :)
> >
> > Reconfig mode asks you some of the same questions that the installer has
> > already asked you, such as language, keyboard, securitylevel, timezone,
> > etc.
> >
> > It's mostly for OEMs who do a factory kickstart install.  They want the
> > end user of the machine to select things like timezone and language when
> > the machine starts, because those settings are most likely different
> > than the default values in the OEM's kickstart file.
> >
> > For people that just did the installation themselves, we don't want to
> > show those reconfig screens since the installer just asked you those
> > questions.
>
> Sorry, i am talking about the "--reconfig" flag in firstboot.
> I find only one place where reconfig is "used" :
>             if hasattr(obj, "moduleClass"):
>                 if (self.doReconfig and (obj.moduleClass == "reconfig")):
>                     self.moduleDict[int(obj.runPriority)] = obj
>                 elif (not self.doReconfig and (obj.moduleClass != "reconfig")):
>                     self.moduleDict[int(obj.runPriority)] = obj
>             else:
>                 self.moduleDict[int(obj.runPriority)] = obj
>
> I am not a python programmer and perhaps I am wrong.

I'm not sure I understand the question.  The code you quoted above scans
the modules that firstboot has found in /usr/share/firstboot/modules to
see if any have a moduleClass variable that is set to "reconfig".  If
any modules have this tag, they will only be shown if the reconfig flag
has been passed to firstboot.

> For me firstboot do not need the "--reconfig" flag. firstboot always run
> on an already configured system. At least with this configuration :
> - configured with no sound card.
> - configured with default time zone.
> - configured with no user account.
> - ...

If you don't need the reconfig flag, that's fine.  Reconfig mode will
not be used unless you manually enable it.

> Should i run redhat-config-* with "--reconfig" flag if my system is
> already configured ?

Running the redhat-config-* tools with --reconfig should have no
effect.  Reconfig only exists in the context of the firstboot framework.

Cheers,
   Brent