Keyboard freeze, Wireless Weirdness

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 23:13:29 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 18:33, Chris Elston wrote:
> I'm running Severn on a Dell Inspiron 8100.  To get it to even work, I had
> to disable ACPI, which may or may not be contributing to my problems.
> Everything else is normal, even installed all packages during the
> preliminary install.
>
> My first problem occurs semi-randomly.  While running X, my keyboard will
> stop responding.  Everything else seems fine, the keyboard just stops
> working.  I can't go to a virtual desktop (no keyboard), can't use any
> system config tools (asks for root password) or anything, so I'm forced to
> completely reboot.  Doesn't seem to matter what window manager I'm using
> as this problem has occured in both Gnome/Metacity and WindowMaker.

I can reproduce this on Shrike fairly consistently.  I have an IBM
Thinkpad T22 Laptop and a Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA card.  If I transfer
large amounts of data in a burst I get this problem, eg ftp a big file,
or try and run a remote application using X.  Normal web browing and ssh
usage are fine.  Note that the mouse and screen still work fine.

I noted that when this happens the system also stopped responding to the
wireless network - even though I know the IP address I couldn't ping or
ssh into the laptop.

My plan - when I had some time - was to try and get the system to hang
while using the wireless, but have the ethernet up as well to see if I
could get in using that instead.

I haven't upgraded to Severn yet - unfortunately I need this system to
be functional for work....

Keith.