Minimal Install Option

Mark Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Fri Aug 22 00:16:39 UTC 2003

rhl-beta-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

> The closest would be something more like the debian install -- do a minimal
> install of basically kernel + libc + network (if needed), then boot into the
> new machine and install the rest using firstboot. And even that's likely to
> not make everyone happy, since we can't even seem to decide if ftp or http
> or both clients should be included! ;-)

There's a real simple solution to this.  A minimal install should be
kernel + libc + network and then allow the user to selectively add
things like you can in the previous Custom install methods.  If the
user wants ftp or http clients, they can turn them on in the Network
Apps category.

Some people act like just cause it's not in the default minimal install
group that you can't add it during the customization portion of the
install...

Have Fun, Suffer and Survive, or Get Lost in the Net!

Mark Hoover
mahoover at ispaceonline.org