Minimal Install Option

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Fri Aug 22 16:34:04 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 22:15, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 00:02, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> > Bill Anderson wrote:
> >
> > >Right now, I am working ona  python script that explores a given group
> > >and determines a package list for the entire group. With this, my goal
> > >is (initially) to be able to have it take the Mandatory, and later
> > >Default, options in the group, list them, and then follow it's group
> > >requirements and do the same up the tree (all the way to Core).
> >
> > is rpm-analyzer the project you seek?
> > http://www.maisondubonheur.com/rpm-analyzer/
> > if yer going through this much trouble for a python script maybe you can
> > hack the extra mandatory/default/optional functionality into
> > rpm-analyzer proggie while yer at it.
>
> Might I suggest you look at yum's groups support.
>
> yum reads the comps.xml now and can list packages out in groups of
> 'mandatory', 'default' and 'optional'.
>
> yumcomps.py in yum's source is an easy read, lots of comments.

Hmm I'll have to look at that.

My script already can do that, and can also drill down through a
sequence of group requirements. For example, the current comps.xml file
in the beta shows Base (Minimal) requiring Dialup and Core. My script
currently takes the name of the comps.xml file and the id of a group. It
then spits out the Mandatory/Default packages for the specified group
and the groups it requires, and that they require, etc..

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773
bill at noreboots.com