A solution to the Galeon situation?

George J Karabin gkarabin at pobox.com
Sat Aug 23 19:31:55 UTC 2003

However, none of these implementations are per-session, which is the
point I was making there. I.e., you can't open two browser sessions, one
of which uses one method of selecting a proxy for a given URL, and the
other session uses some other method, which is what Joel was talking
about.

FYI, WPAD is an (expired) internet draft standard built on top of PAC. A
nice intro to WPAD is here: http://wlug.org.nz/WPAD . I'm looking into
building a library to let any application (not just browsers with
built-in javascript hooks) take advantage of the protocol.

None of this really helps Joel, though, who needs independent manual
control over the selection of the proxy at run time. That's the sort of
thing that needs UI work in each application, whereas what I'm working
toward is under the hood.

- George