mc needs XFree86-libs?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Aug 24 06:34:49 UTC 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

>Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:16:27 +0200
>From: Leonard den Ottolander <leonardjo at hetnet.nl>
>To: rhl-beta-list at redhat.com
>Subject: mc needs XFree86-libs?
>
>Hi,
>
> Since when does the midnight commander depend on XFree86-libs (I'm still
>mainly on 7.3)? What does it need XFree86-libs for?

If you run mc inside an xterm in X, you can use the mouse to
click on the menus, or on files and directories, or command key
at the bottom of the screen.

I use mc as my main filemanager exclusively for years now, I'm
not a fan of using the mouse inside it and never have been, but
other people seem to like the ability to use the mouse in mc.

In order for the mouse to work in mc while running in xterm, it
has to be linked to Xlib, and thus mc requires XFree86-libs.