Wine and Office

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at columbus.rr.com
Mon Aug 25 01:54:06 UTC 2003

Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Paul Sery wrote:
>

>>MS Word and Office don't work under cxoffice either. Using either of the
>>June/July or August Wine snapshots doesn't affect the problem. I've also
>>tried using winetools and DCOM98 to install Word but no luck (although
>>it's possible I'm not using dcom98 correctly).
>

> Odd. They work for me.
>
> severn, yum'ed to rawhide
>
> later,
> chris
>

> --

Except for Access, what does Office do that Openoffice does not handle.
Why run the MSoffice on Linux? Is it valuable or just a contest to see
how many win32 programs from Microsoft that you can run?

How is the trend in non-microsoft win32 programs being compiled for use
on Unix/Linux OSes. Is the need for win32 emulation growing or shrinking?

Also, since the IA64 information has been shared with developers
(according to what I seem to remember reading awhile ago), is their
becoming a lower need for win64 emulation? (when the processor gets to
become more common.)

It is just my curiousity, since I get distracted when using XP (at work)
and have to use IE to get some links to work properly. My default
browser on XP is mozilla. It works for most of the sites. Only two
distractors come to mind.

Another question would be regarding how many virtual PC's can you run on
one copy of Office 10? Is it possible to legally run one copy of office
for 100 plus user, via terminal stations to the 100 plus users?

Jim

--
meeting, n.:
	An assembly of people coming together to decide what person or