Testing NPTL on i586 [was: What is minimum RAM to install?]

Leonard den Ottolander leonardjo at hetnet.nl
Mon Aug 25 22:40:07 UTC 2003

Hi Martin,

> By the way, I also have a real i486, but I still need to check the
> hardware and get a decent-sized harddrive for it.

 The problem with 486's is that it's quite annoying to use anaconda to
install the system since 8.0. The missing i386 kernel will cause all
packages to complain about missing depencies (ie the kernel) which will
cause the install to take ages to complete. If you want to install on a 486
you'ld rather use another means of installation (rpm --root <mounted
partition> -i $(cat packs) from a system with a compatible version of rpm).

Bye,
Leonard.

--
How clean is a war when you shoot around nukelar waste?
Stop the use of depleted uranium ammo!