Screenshot tool

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Tue Aug 26 15:06:19 UTC 2003

seth vidal:

> Unless I've gone daft can't you hit alt-printscreen to get _just_ the
> window?
> it works under rhl9.

Sure does...sadly though...knowing about that feature and other keyboard
shortcut features actually requires some proactive reading. And we all
know expecting people to read documentation is squandered hope.

I have a problem with keyboard shortcut only features for that very
reason. People have to be told how to do everything, they expect it,
they crave it...through tooltips, status bars, little pop-up helper
agents and even going so far as to write to a mailinglist...anything to
avoid reading documentation. No one actually wants to find their own
solution...they want to be told how to do specific tasks. There is a lot
of room to explore tasked based help systems to see if users would
prefer that to application by application documentation..but i digress.

Keyboard shortcuts, unless they are presented to the user via a tooltip
or menu item..are unfathomly hidden to most casual users. Sure
printscreen seems obvious but alt-printscreen certaintly isn't. But the
original problem on this thread with the screenshot proggie in gnome is
that its inconsistantly placed in the menus. In the specific menupanel
finderbar like panel the Actions menu contains several useful buttons.
Now look at the standard main menu that you would place on a standard
edge panel...all the items in the actions menu is in the main menu
except screenshot(atleast on my rhl9 desktop)....thats seems
inconsistent. Screenshot from the action menu from the menu panel should
perhaps be in the standard fedora/gnomefoot menu button like the other
action items...just so people can easily find it.

But back to keyboard shortcuts...to make people aware of screenshot
keyboard shortcuts i would suggest that the tooltip for that screenshot
action item should give some information as to the accessible keyboard
shortcuts...but this is probably not so easy to do since those are
controllable through the keyboard shortcut preference dialog...to really
work the tooltip couldnt be static text...it have to match the setting.
But since we make it a point to have keyboard shortcuts listed in menu
items inside applications...it seems reasonable for the casual user to
expect keyboard shortcut listings in the panel menu items as well
somehow.

-jef"when is gnome going to implement an emacs-line command interface
applet"spaleta