Testing NPTL on i586 [was: What is minimum RAM to install?]

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Tue Aug 26 22:22:23 UTC 2003

Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

> > By the way, I also have a real i486, but I still need to check the
> > hardware and get a decent-sized harddrive for it.
>
>  The problem with 486's is that it's quite annoying to use anaconda
> to install the system since 8.0. The missing i386 kernel will cause
> all packages to complain about missing depencies (ie the kernel)
> which will cause the install to take ages to complete. If you want
> to install on a 486 you'ld rather use another means of installation
> (rpm --root <mounted partition> -i $(cat packs) from a system with
> a compatible version of rpm).

Nope, that's what the RULE ISO image is made for. *grin* Look at
http://www.rule-project.org/ - it was founded to use Red Hat Linux on
platforms where Anaconda will no longer install the system.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 8.0 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/