no ... *really* ... any ETA for updated beta?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 27 12:58:27 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Alan Cox wrote:

> The answer is "When its ready", and part of the "its ready" is making
> sure we can avoid getting into the same situation again

as i already mentioned, that would normally be a reasonable response
if *red hat* had not already suggested a date for the next beta, as i
recall.  but there's another reason why the "when it's ready" answer
is kind of irrelevant.

we're not talking about an official release here.  we're talking about
a *beta*, which we as beta testers *expect* to have flaws, glitches and
bugs.  so what does it even mean to say that a beta is "ready" anyway?

from the timestamps on one of the download mirrors, it seems that this
beta has been out for about five weeks now.  i don't think it's
unreasonable to think that there have been enough bug reports and
fixes to let the beta testers have a crack at an improved version.

no one expects it to be perfect.  but it would be nice to have a crack
at a newer release that we *should* expect to have fewer bugs so we can
start the testing process over again and push it along even further.

i mean, really.  it *is* just a beta.

rday