no ... *really* ... any ETA for updated beta?

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 18:31:02 UTC 2003

On 27 Aug 2003, Jef Spaleta wrote:

> And as rhl's development structure moves towards rhlp, you sure as hell
> better expect some waffling on policy decisions....changing from an
> in-house development process to a more open community process is not
> going to be a linear progression...policy changes red hat initiates,
> will garner feedback, to impact that initial policy change red hat
> decided to make. I'd rather have feedback and waffling now and even long
> stretches of time when red hat's policies have seem to regressed back to
> a fully closed development state...then have to deal with unpopular
> policy decisions down the road when rhlp is in full swing.

The non-technical stuff is being looked at by some people
I trust (and some people I don't know yet ;)). I'm not going
to worry about that.

Instead, I want to do some technical work on the project!

Once the amount of effort I'm spending on Taroon (the regularly
posted changelogs will show you what I'm doing) will get less,
I plan to put together a mini-buildsystem so people can easily
put together external package repositories for multiple versions
of the distribution.

I will start with some ugly scripts and a small repository of
things I want to distribute.  Once things work (even a small
part of the functionality) I will start distributing the build
scripts and write some very basic documentation on how to set
up a build/test system for multiple distributions.

At the moment I'm planning to use user mode linux for "virtual
build boxes" as well as simple virtual test systems. I know it's
not as efficient as chroot environments, but it does allow for
more flexibility.

My repository?  Some email and ham radio software, probably
nothing worth waiting for.  The interesting stuff will be in
your repository, not mine ;)