no ... *really* ... any ETA for updated beta?

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Thu Aug 28 00:44:45 UTC 2003

> Hey, I'm just trying to be constructive, here.
> That's been there for
> over a month and also makes reference to their announcement on Monday
> (Which Monday?  What month?)
> Any sort of addendum, no matter what
> says, would indicate that RedHat has not simply abandoned the consumer
> version

Oh please....just stop. This beta is being handled very much like every
previous beta..this isn't a community project yet. What we breifly saw
at rhl.redhat.com  were the very first public moves towards rhl-"the
project." In the past...from beta to beta...you had no more information
about what was going on than you do now. It's much better to look at how
redhat has said so far, simple as intent for the future. How development
in this beta is being done is very not unlike previous betas.

Yeesh...simply abandoning the consumer version..yeah thats right...there
is a huge fear of that happening...even with all the rawhide activity
and the new beta update channel on rhn....yeppers everyone should really
be afraid this time around.  Is yer manager also afraid of a large
asteroid hitting the earth...the odds of that happening are probably
higher....i'm sure there is an insurance company out there that will
offer you a reasonable policy as a risk management strategy against
world ending asteroid impact.

When Red hat 7.3 came out....where was the promise of a next version?
When Red Hat 8 came out.....where was the promise of a next version?
When Red Hat 9 came out................

If a boss or manager really wants to get down and dirty with the day to
day...week to week....month to month happenings of the beta phase. They
can get their arse over to an ftp mirror of rawhide and watch the daily
additions...they can get their arse over to bugzilla and watch the bugs
being worked on....they can get their arse on here and lurk. If simply
knowing that a beta phase is on going, isn't enough to assuage a
manager's fear that rhl isn't about to disappear...how could that person
ever find the courage to use any software. No vendor of consumer
software goes out of their way to say, "yessir...we plan to definitely
continue to make new versions of a certain product 4 years from
now...one every 6 months or so....garunteed"

-jef"clearly rhl.redhat.com should be corrected with a php generated
page that adds 'its <today's date> and Red Hat remains excited'...just
to give the rather shallow and unimportant updated appearance to phb's
of the world who need false comfort over a drastically misplaced
fear..while the actually important information is still be compiled and
put together."spaleta