Virtualized Build environments

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Thu Aug 28 13:31:24 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Warren Togami wrote:

> Are UML kernels capable of true NPTL build environment internally?

That's a good question. I guess it'd have to be 2.6 UML and
even there I'm not quite sure...

> Have you considered vservers rather than chroot or UML?  Fedora Linux
> project is currently working on

I can't believe I forgot about vservers. I've played quite
a bit with vservers a year or two ago and even patched the
vserver code a little bit.

You're absolutely right, I should use vservers for the
build environments.  UML is more of a thing for testing
things like MTAs, vserver is better for building...

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mach/
> Try the current CVS snapshot of mach, (grab component mach2 written in
> python, mach is the old version written in Makefile).  Thomas wrote an
> excellent framework for auto-creation of build root chroots,
> auto-dependency resolution, build, collect build logs, etc.

I haven't learned python yet, but I see I've got a good
reason to learn it now ... cool.