no ... *really* ... any ETA for updated beta?

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Thu Aug 28 14:36:56 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:46:23AM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Thus proves the rationality of the previous policy of not
> pre-announcing release dates.

> The problem is that the future can never be predicted, and so it
> is totally impossible to give a release date for something that
> is 100% accurate.  And when a date _is_ given, and that date can
> not be met, it is equally impossible to estimate how much longer
> it will be until a given project does get released.

Bravo.

I'd add one point, which is that it is usually possible to assert
the negative with much greater certainty; something like "since we
plan another beta cycle, RHL will *not* be released before 1 October".
That allows a rational person to decide "OK, let's get on with installing
RHL 9 now, but plan for the changes in the RHL 10 beta."

The whiners will continue to whine, but that will never change.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky