A solution to the Galeon situation?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Aug 28 15:27:57 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 19:58, Anthony Joseph Seward wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 02:16, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> <snip>
> > I can't help but to (again) plug my packages at
> > http://lisas.de/~nils/redhat/severn/... -- these work for me (no crashes
> > on either printing or preferences). If they won't work with you, you
> > should check whether the dependencies are current, check your versions
> > of (for starters):
> >
> > glib2
> > glibc
> > gtk2
> > libstdc++
> > mozilla
> >
> > and compare them against what's in Rawhide.
> >
> > Nils
>
> I still get crashes on printing and preferences.  Can you help?
>
> I've upgraded to the following from Rawhide:
>
> cpp-3.3.1-2.i386.rpm
> gcc-3.3.1-2.i386.rpm
> gcc-c++-3.3.1-2.i386.rpm
> gcc-g77-3.3.1-2.i386.rpm
> gcc-java-3.3.1-2.i386.rpm

cpp and gcc is totally irrelevanr except if you want to compile it for
yourself (for simplicity reasons I'll assume you use one of the binary
packages that already "should work").

> glibc-2.3.2-71.i686.rpm
> glibc-common-2.3.2-71.i386.rpm
> libf2c-3.3.1-2.i386.rpm

same goes for libf2c

> libgcc-3.3.1-2.i386.rpm
> libgcj-3.3.1-2.i386.rpm
> libgcj-devel-3.3.1-2.i386.rpm
> libstdc++-3.3.1-2.i386.rpm
> libstdc++-devel-3.3.1-2.i386.rpm

or -devel packages...

> tzdata-2003a-2.noarch.rpm
>
> glib2, gtk2 and mozilla currently in Rawhide are the same as those in
> severn:
>
> glib2-2.2.2-1
> gtk2-2.2.2-2.1
> mozilla-1.4-12

these were the same here. I just updated a lot of packages, but I'll
provide all "direct" dependencies of galeons as of now as well. Please
compare with what you have:

atk-1.3.5-1
bash-2.05b-26.1
compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2
eel2-2.3.9-1
gail-1.3.5-3
GConf2-2.3.3-2
glib2-2.2.3-1.1
glibc-2.3.2-78
gnome-vfs2-2.3.8-1
gtk2-2.2.3-1.1
libart_lgpl-2.3.14-1
libbonobo-2.3.6-2
libbonoboui-2.3.6-2
libgcc-3.3.1-2
libglade2-2.0.1-4
libgnome-2.3.7-2
libgnomecanvas-2.3.6-1
libgnomeui-2.3.6-2
libstdc++-3.3.1-2
libxml2-2.5.10-4
linc-1.0.3-2
mozilla-1.4-12
mozilla-nspr-1.4-12
nautilus-2.3.9-1
ORBit2-2.7.5-5
pango-1.2.5-1.1
popt-1.8.1-0.30
scrollkeeper-0.3.12-1
XFree86-libs-4.3.0-22.1
zlib-1.1.4-10

Just an idea: do you have any (Mozilla) plugins installed? Please remove
them and check whether it works then -- Sometimes Galeon seems to have
problems with certain plugins where Mozilla works flawlessly.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com