printconf should restart printer

sean darcy seandarcy at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 30 18:35:12 UTC 2003

My printer is set up on an linux server running cups/samba. It's used by
both linux and windows workstations. Every once in a while I get this error
on the linux workstation:

Call timed out: server did not respond after 10000 milliseconds closing
remote file

Then both printconf ( redhat-config-printer ) and the GNOME Print Manager
show the printer is down - cute little red X . Neither give any way to
restart the printer.

I can go to the cups web interface :631 and restart the printer, which
works. Then printconf and GPM are happy.

Shouldn't printconf have a restart feature? Isn't it just a link to lpadmin?

sean