CD burning software

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Dec 3 01:30:31 UTC 2003

Once upon a time, James Olin Oden <joden at malachi.lee.k12.nc.us> said:
> Actually, I believe ISOLINUX is still doing the "El Torrito" Bootable
> floppy image thing, but the image contians a "syslinux" boot loader smart
> enough to read from the cdrom drive to get its configuration.

SYSLINUX doesn't know how to read from CDs.  ISOLINUX is different; it
does not use a bootable floppy image, however it still uses the El
Torito extensions (it doesn't know how to read from the CD itself).

El Torito specifies several BIOS extensions for booting from CD; the
most commonly used (and most commonly supported) is to put the image of
a bootable floppy and have the El Torito extension read it and emulate a
floppy drive.  Some computers that support El Torito extensions only
support booting from a floppy image.

ISOLINUX uses a "no emulation" mode, where BIOS INT13 calls can be used
to read blocks from a CD (more or less like reading from a hard drive in
real mode).  ISOLINUX does know how to read a basic ISO9660 filesystem
to find the files.

Not all computers that support booting from a floppy image will boot
from a "no emulation" CD, but most do.  IIRC, for RHL9, the second CD
was also bootable, using a floppy image for the computers that didn't
support the other way.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>