rewrite bootloader

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Dec 3 17:31:00 UTC 2003

Am Mi, den 03.12.2003 schrieb David Balazic um 17:47:

Corrected top posting ;-)

> > ----------

Just FYI:

>From
# info grub
Installation/Installing GRUB using grub-install:
----
   *Caution:* This procedure is definitely deprecated, because there
are several posibilities that your computer can be unbootable. For
example, most operating systems don't tell GRUB how to map BIOS drives
to OS devices correctly, GRUB merely "guesses" the mapping. This will
succeed in most cases, but not always. So GRUB provides you with a
user-defined map file called "device map", which you must fix, if it is
wrong.
----

Look at
# info grub
Installation/Installing GRUB natively:
Short form:
----
root (hd0,5)
setup (hd0)
----
will install grub in mbr of the first harddisk (hd0) an look for its
config and other grub files on the second logical Partition (hd0,5 --
presumable /dev/hda6)

CU
thl

BTW: fedora-test-list is IMHO not the right place for this