arjanv/2.5 device-mapper lvm2

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 09:31:28 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 08:17:22PM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 16:19, Joe Orton wrote:
> > 2. rc.sysinit fails in fsck unable to find the device:
> >
> > fsck.ext3: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/mainvg/rootfs
> > Possibly non-existent or swap device?
> >
> > I wasn't sure how to fix that (initscripts-4.73).
>
> Surely initscripts-7.43 ;-)  Try creating an /etc/lvm directory and then
> see if things work

7.43, oops, yes ;) I will do, but it didn't look like that would help
since the new:

# LVM2 initialization
if [ -d /etc/lvm/ -a -x /sbin/lvm ]; then

stuff happens after the fsck /, and looks like it has to because it
needs a writable root filesystem.

(I played with mounting a tmpfs on /dev/mapper, doing the mkdmnod and
fscking the root device like that manually, but scripting that would
require mapping /dev/mainvg/rootfs to /dev/mapper/mainvg-rootfs, not
sure if that's a well-defined mapping)

joe