telinit 3 broken

Neal D. Becker nbecker at hns.com
Wed Dec 10 16:11:42 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 11:01 am, William Hooper wrote:
> Neal D. Becker  said:
> > /sbin/chkconfig --list nfs
> > nfs            	0:off	1:off	2:off	3:off	4:off	5:on	6:off
> > /sbin/chkconfig --list mailman
> > mailman        	0:off	1:off	2:on	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off
> >
> > So it's not surprising that nfs turns off, but I'm pretty sure I didn't
> > change
> > this setting.  If so, the default setting is apparantly wrong.
>
> The default for NFS is to not run at all, so you had to change something.

I believe I used my standard install customization script, which would have
done:

    runcommand ("/sbin/chkconfig nfs on")
    runcommand ("/sbin/service nfs restart")

I doubt that I had specified nfs run only in level 5, since I always ever just
use "on" and "off" to chkconfig.

> Doesn't explain the mailman issue, either.  Have you checked the other
> things that you didn't specifically mention in you first mail?

Not sure about this one.  Possibly unrelated.  I did see several messages
about stopping and starting services that I believe should not be stopped by
going from 5->3.  nfs was the one that particularly caught my attention.

I can't repeat the experiment at the moment, but I'm surprised nobody else
noticed anything like this.