What does REDHAT recomend for 3D video card?

David Balazic david.balazic at hermes.si
Fri Dec 12 13:20:29 UTC 2003

> Klaasjan Brand [kjb at dds.nl] wrote:
> <snip>
> > Can't speak for Red Hat, but since they only support the open source
> > DRI drivers I guess you should look for the best supported DRI cards.
> > Currently the fastest cards supported by DRI are the lower
> > end ATI cards
> > (Radeon 9200). If you're no gamer and only use 3d ocasionally that's
> > fine (I'm running a radeon 8500 without problems).
> 	Aside from the fact that this way OT - this email is by far the most
> hilarious yet.  I'm not waging a personal attack, but come on - "If you're
> not a gamer or only run 3D occasionally you may have to """settle""" for a
> Radeon 8500 or 9200???  That statement is hilarious!  Both these cards are
> capable of 3D graphics FAR beyond what the human eye can appreciate -
> unless, of course, you're one of the people that believe they can actually
> _see_ Unreal @ 90+fps.

Totally OT, but 90fps does not mean that the picture is actually smooth.
Go watch a 24 fps movie in the theatre and a 50 fps 3D game and you'll
notice that movements in the movie are much smoother, while in the game
they stutter/jump/are jerky/unnatural.
So pumping 100 fps might lower this problem, but not eliminate it.
It is like 1024x768 3D game screenshot still looks much more artificial
that a 640x480 screenshot from a movie.
High numbers are not everything.

So just because a 8500 can render 1024x768 at 60fps does not mean that there
is nothing to improve.

Whatever,
David Balazic