What does REDHAT recomend for 3D video card?

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Fri Dec 12 15:39:00 UTC 2003

Stephan Schutter wrote:
> I have got the impression that RH does not respect NVidia much because
> they will not give their code away... and well... sometimes there are

It has nothing to do with "giving away" code. It is all about accessing
the code to fix bugs. NVIDIA has gotten better, but they are still slow
to fix bugs. Their code has been known to break other thing too.

So Red Hat has no way to support it. No different than any other OS.
I promise you that. Use driver that didn't come with M$ Windoze, and see
how much support M$ gives you. Experience[1] tell me, NONE.

Thats the biggest problem. The next is they don't use the standard
interfaces in linux. They have their own APG driver and don't use DRI.
They aren't even trying to fit it. (ATI seams to be doing better with
their closed drivers. I think the use DRI and the kernel AGP.)

NVIDIA restricts redistribution of the driver (like Sun does Java) so
Red Hat couldn't include the drivers even if they wanted.

	-Thomas

[1] When Win98 was current, I had troubles with an Adaptec SCSI card.
Microsoft said the problem was the card or the device. Adaptec said it
was the OS or the device. The device make said it was the OS or the
card. Tried M$ supplied driver, and Adaptec's updated drivers. Neither
worked well.

It was not the card or the device (or anoy other hardware) since it
worked fine in linux. Never had any problems with it in linux, ever.