What does REDHAT recomend for 3D video card?

Klaasjan Brand kjb at dds.nl
Fri Dec 12 15:39:22 UTC 2003

Vanco, Don wrote:

> Aside from the fact that this way OT - this email is by far the most
>
>hilarious yet.  I'm not waging a personal attack, but come on - "If you're
>not a gamer or only run 3D occasionally you may have to """settle""" for a
>Radeon 8500 or 9200???  That statement is hilarious!

If you're happy with a G400 or the Intel on-board stuff you can use
that, but the fastest cards on the market are not supported by the DRI
drivers.
The supported cards are also more or less budget cards so some people
might call that "settle for less" to have open source 3d acceleration
support.

> Both these cards are
>capable of 3D graphics FAR beyond what the human eye can appreciate -
>unless, of course, you're one of the people that believe they can actually
>_see_ Unreal @ 90+fps.

Instead of just increasing fps, you also need a lot of gpu horsepower to
drive modern monitors in 1600x1200 and higher resolutions. Then there's
the option of using more polygons to generate better looking images...

Klaasjan