What does REDHAT recomend for 3D video card?

joe joe at tmsusa.com
Fri Dec 12 20:31:26 UTC 2003

Gene C. wrote:

>I have good luck with ATI adapters and, if it is not a bleeding edge card,
>there is an open source version of the driver.
>
>However, I have also had hard freezes with some of the GL screensavers.

Whoa, full stop - that doesn't sound luck my idea of good luck.

However, it does sound a lot like my experience with ATI cards from a
few years ago -

I tried to do the right thing and run an ATI card a few years back, but
the system would lock hard as soon as I tried to start return to castle
wolfenstein. I yanked that card and sold it to a windoze users, and have
been using nvidia cards ever since. I've never had a crash to date since
running nvidia cards - and I play a lot of 3D FPS, and run GL
screensavers, so 3D stability is something I am sensitive to.

I have no use for a card/driver combo that can cause hard locks - say
what you will about nvidia, but their stuff has been rock solid for me,
no matter what I throw at it.

YMMV,

Joe