What does REDHAT recomend for 3D video card?

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Fri Dec 12 22:17:36 UTC 2003

joe wrote:
> However, it does sound a lot like my experience with ATI cards from a
> few years ago -

A lot has change since then. The drivers have matured.

> I tried to do the right thing and run an ATI card a few years back, but
> the system would lock hard as soon as I tried to start return to castle

My Rage128 has never locked anything up :)
The DRI drivers are not bad.

> I have no use for a card/driver combo that can cause hard locks - say
> what you will about nvidia, but their stuff has been rock solid for me,
> no matter what I throw at it.

Lucky you. Then again, they may have improved their drivers too.
I gave up on them. They promised open source drivers, then released
obfuscated crap no one could work on. Later the developed other drivers,
but kept them closed. I gave up just before the GeForce+ frivers were
released. I had a TNT2 and they wouldn't work on it.

	-Thomas