kernel 2.6.0-test11 custom compile weirdness

RaXeT maxer1 at xmission.com
Sat Dec 13 09:56:42 UTC 2003

Something I've noticed and not sure why. When compiling a custom kernel
the entire process works flawlessly except that after make install, all
the driver permissions aren't properly set. I had to do chmod 744 with
-R to get the permissions right.

Also I noticed that on arjanv's test11 that I immediately received a
kernel panic on (0,0) for kernel-2.6.0-0.test11.1.102.i686.

Currently have a very stable NON custom kernel-2.6.0-0.test11.1.100.i686
in operation grabbed from arjanv's
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/RPMS.kernel/ site.

I'm thinking that somehow my sata drive is at issue. Issuing an lspci I
get the following address for the Promise RAID controller:
0000:02:04.0 RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20376 (rev
02)

Any ideas why custom kernel building creates a non functioning, kernel
panick for this kernel? I have built many custom kernels
and not sure what is causing this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

RaXeT