autofs

Parrish M Myers parrishmyers at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 21:17:16 UTC 2003

I'm not sure I can remember all of the details, but...

I work in an SGI environment at work.  The way the sys admins set up
the system, autofs was utilized the '-host' special map with the
'/hosts' dir.  This map apparently allowed the autofsd daemon to
dynamically mount all entrys in the server's list of exported
filesystems.  And many services were set up to look in this directory
tree.  From the autofs hacking page located at:

http://www.goop.org/~jeremy/autofs/

It seems version 4 was modified to handle this interaction and included
another config file 'autofs.net' to handle the request.  As much as I
tried, I could never get v3 to do this.

--- "Lamont R. Peterson" <lamont at gurulabs.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 06:32, Parrish M Myers wrote:
> > With the release of autofs v4, has anyone in the fedora group
> > considered adding it to the package list.
> >
> > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/autofs/v4
>
> Agreed.  I would like to see autofs v4 in FC.
>
> > It helps out greatly when in an NFS/NIS environment when home
> > directories are automounted.  As far as I can tell the 3.x version
> in
> > the distribution right now won't/can't do this.
>
> I have done the autofs-for-home-directories thing without any
> problems
> (other than fat fingering a config file :-) with autofs v3.  We use
> RHL9, RHEL3, FC1, SuSE, Solaris and Aurora without any difficulties.
> There have been other distributions and Unix variants in there
> before,
> as well.
>
> I am curious to know what documentation (or whatever) indicates to
> you
> that autofs v3 can not mount home directories?
> --
> Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
> Senior Instructor
> Guru Labs <http://www.gurulabs.com/>
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc

=====
Academia is a little like child   | Parrish M. Myers
rearing, it provides a chance at  | The Wacked Jester
immortality without the stretch   | parrishmyers at yahoo.com
marks  -- (unknown source)        |