Opteron System, fc1-x86_64 -- progress

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sun Dec 21 22:41:53 UTC 2003

Based on previous messages, this is a summery of current progress:

1. the floppy is working .. I had the cable in backwards (or rather
upside-down).

2.  The BIOS Setup etc. at power-on now visible with the Dell Monitor
connected via DVI rather than analog through the KVM switch.  The ASUS/AMI
BIOS must max out the video parameters rather than doing things safely.  This
must have been filtered by the KVM.  I can live with this.  Except when I
need to fool with the BIOS Setup, I may switch back to using the KVM since it
is more convenient.  I still consider the bad video parameters an ASUS bug.

3.  The Linksys NIC (tulip driver) definitely hangs Linux in 64 bit mode
although it works fine in 32 bit mode.  However, the onboard 3COM 3C940
gigabit ethernet NIC also works.  It completely works under 32 bit Linux and
will handle the nfs install under 64 bit linux (Fedora Core 1 for the amd64).
Unfortunately, under 64 bit linux I get an "kernel Oops" enabling the
interface.  Fortunately this is not MS Windows and things went merrily along
without the interface rather than getting the blue-screen-of-death.

The 3C940 driver (sk98lin) must be manually selected rather than automatically
detected.

Overall I am getting much more happy with this box, the SK8V MB, etc.

Questions -- where should I post bug reports?  In bugzilla? Assigned to whom?
Fedora Core but what version?
--
Gene