new nvidia driver 53.28 fails

Philip Wyett philip at wyett.net
Tue Dec 23 18:44:22 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 15:26, Michal Zeravik wrote:
> Hm, problem still continues.
> I have well configured xserver with config in attachment.
> With 44.96 works ok. So I tried to install new 53.28:
>
> rpm -e XFree-Mesa-GL (GL works even with 44.96 - /usr/libGL.so is link
> to /usr/libGL.so.44.96)
> telinit 3
> export CC=gcc32 (for old 44.96 as well)
> ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1
> - it uninstall old (44.96) driver and build module for my kernel
> (2.4.22-1.2129.nptl.caps.rhfc1.ccrma)
> - everything seem to be ok, but Xserver fails to start and logs no error
> - screen in mingetty (console) is not redrawing
> - I have to switch (ctrl+alt+f2) to another and back to redraw screen
> console
>
> After reinstall 44.96 works xserver well with the same XF86Config.
> So, I don't know where is a bug.
> Any ideas?
>
> michalz

<big snip>

Hmm... Two cards of different makes and Xinerama - Not something I've
had much contact/dealings with I have to say. One thing that did strike
me though is that you make no use of 'Int10', thus all POSTing for the
second card is currently being done through the nvidia kernel module.
Could be a point of conflict/problems or maybe not, however you may wish
to look at 'Int10' usage or ask around about this e.g. on the forums
linked to from nvidia's GNU/Linux driver page.

Regards

Philip Wyett

Email: philip at wyett.net
Website: http://www.wyett.net