Alsa device ordering.

Gavin Graham gavindi at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 23 19:45:15 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I have been trying out the new 2.6 kernel and Alsa as I have a Edirol
SD-20 USB sound module that was a pain under the OSS system. While all
is great, there is this one problem:

I have two sound cards, one is the Edirol USB sound module and the other
is a stock SB-Audigy. During system init, all USB drivers get load
before the standard sound drivers which means that my Edirol sound
module becomes sound-card-0. Then along come the standard sound module
load which make the SB-Audigy become sound-card-1.

The problem with this is that the Edriol module is midi only and has no
PCM/Wave capability. This make play normal audio very difficult. ..Not
to mention just running the volume applet!!!

My fix to date has been to unload both modules and then reload them in
the correct order of SB then Edirol.

It think some re-ordering is involved here but I am unsure how to best
execute this.

Regards,
--
➧ Gavin Graham ➧ Arkpandora.com