New Beta - MySQL

James Olin Oden joden at malachi.lee.k12.nc.us
Mon Jul 21 19:34:55 UTC 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Rick Johnson wrote:

> On 7/21/2003 8:29 AM, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 08:23:28AM -0700, Rick Johnson wrote:
> >
> >>I'm somewhat disappointed to see that MySQL 4.x didn't make it into this
> >>beta. Any particular reason why?
> >
> > The MySQL changelog says:
> >
> > * Thu Jul 03 2003 Patrick Macdonald <patrickm at redhat.com> 3.23.57-1
> >
> > - revert to prior version of MySQL due to license incompatibilities
> >   with packages that link against the client.  The MySQL folks are
> >   looking into the issue.

I had actually emailed Patrick concerning this, and here is a bit of his
reply:

	The MySQL folks stated that they would
	have a solution within the month so we'll wait to see how that
	goes.  The problem is that the client library is now GPL instead
	of LGPL and the wording surrounding any exceptions to the license
	is ambiguous.  They agree.  A few packages in the distro can not
	link against the libmysqlclient.so in 4.0.

	So.... instead of ripping out the packages, PHP MySQL being one of
	them, we decided revert back to 3.23.

I hope this helps...james