Reason for the change

Brent Fox bfox at redhat.com
Tue Jul 22 00:48:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 08:03:43PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> depends on what you describe as an 'enterprise'.
> I still haven't heard where university 'enterprises' fit in this grand
> scheme.

As you said earlier...probably somewhere in between "cutting edge
enthusiast" and "big corporation".

> I'm beginning to wonder if we(universities) do at all.

I certainly hope universities fit in!  The project objectives
(http://rhl.redhat.com/about/objectives.html) are pretty broad, so it
seems to me that there's lots of room for groups with different
interests to coexist.

We've talked a lot internally about what the right way to address the
needs of universities.  There are lots of universities on 7.3-9 and
they are wondering what to do about the EOL policies of the RHL line.
We also realize that some of these universities do not have the money
or the inclination to switch to RHEL, but they were facing being stuck
with the RHL line and no way to get errata after a certain point.

Ideally, universities will collaborate with each other in the context
of the RHL project to help provide errata for as long as people are
interested in producing them.  As stated in the FAQ
(http://rhl.redhat.com/about/faq/), Red Hat is committing to *at
least* 12 months of errata for a RHL release.  There's no reason that
12 month period couldn't be longer if people are willing to pitch in
and help share the workload required to produce older errata.

Cheers,
   Brent