severn, 2.6.0-test1 kernel *and* LVM

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 24 16:41:23 UTC 2003

  ok, so i found a combination that definitely gave me
trouble.  i installed severn and set up LVM at the same
time.  i put /boot on a primary ext3 partiton, and everything
else in one big VG.  that booted fine.

  i then built a 2.6.0-test1-bk2 kernel, selected device
mapper and v4 ioctl, installed my new kernel, rebooted and ...
the boot failed as the kernel claimed it couldn't find the
LVM modules.

  oops.

  i'm not at the test box at the moment, but i'm guessing
it has something to do with the original LVM support being
in the lvm-mod module, while the 2.6.0 kernel uses dm-mod.
or something like that.

  i guess one solution is to add lvm-mod.o to my 2.6.0
initrd.img.  unless i'm missing something obvious.

  has anyone tried the above?  while i got LVM2 working
under 2.6.0-test1, i didn't spend a lot of time considering
upgrade scenarios.

rday