package/feature request

Jeff Johnson jbj at redhat.com
Thu Jul 24 19:23:04 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 01:15:36PM -0600, Lucas Albers wrote:

> > - rpm: add/detect more targets (pentium4, athlon-tbird, ppc604e, ...). I
> > can add athlon-tbird, but rpm -i say "incompatible arch". --ignorearch
> > solve the problem.
>
> who cares about optimization like this, teh performance diff for compiling
> for specific architectures is between 5-10%.
> For most cases "It does not matter."
> Just recompile the kernel yourself.

Uou are correct in nereal, but there are a handful of packages where
speed change is *not* 5-10%, or is needed for other reasons. openssl
comes to mind, and XFree*-GLU* is gonna need afaict as well.

Howvere, arch is not at all the right representation for these speedups,
something like
	Requires: cpuinfo(cmov)
is. I.e. inventing a lot of arch names to track functionailty implicitly
is just broken each and every time, say, and x86_64 is released.

Tracking the necessary functionality explicitly and narrowly is a far better
approach, particularly if a runtime probe, rather than static content, is
attempted.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ